Dog Boarding Pittsburgh
Misty Pines Pet Company offers first class dog boarding accommodations for your family dog. Our state of the art dog kennels are designed for comfort and safety. Each dog kennel has its own Nelson® automatic watering system continuously providing your dog with fresh water . Our canine guests are provided with elevated Kuranda™ beds, music, skylights, air-conditioning, and radiant floor heating inside and out. All dogs have 24-hour access to their own outdoor run that has radiant floor heating and is under a skylight roof to protect them from the weather.
While your dog stays with us they may participate in any number of optional activities. We have options for every dog's demeanor and desire! Group playtimes allow your pet to exercise and play with other social dogs in our outdoor play-yards. Playtimes are offered for one hour, 4 hour, or 8 hour increments. We also make certain yards available for Private Playtimes for those that prefer a quieter experience. There are also solo activities such as walks on our nature trails or play ball time. A favorite for the smaller breeds is cuddle time, 15 minutes of one-on-one attention from our staff. Our senior boarders like this option as well. See below for our menu of activities that your canine companion can participate in while visiting Misty Pines.
We care about your dog!
Due to our commitment to your pets health and safety we require the Rabies, Bordetella (every 6 months) and Distemper vaccinations to be up-to-date for all dogs that visit Misty Pines. Please provide your dog's current vaccinations via e-mail or fax prior to their pre-boarding visit. We may be unable to accept pets with certain medical conditions in order maintain a clean and healthy kennel. Pre-board stays are required for all new dogs who have never boarded at Misty Pines before. We want to take advantage of any opportunity to cut down on the stress put on your dog. Your dog can spend a morning or afternoon with us and have time in a kennel and in the play yard. These pre-board stays help your pet get acquainted with our facility and staff. Please visit our pre-boarding page to learn more about this process.
Misty Pines Pet Company has No Breed Restrictions and No Restrictions on Unaltered Dogs.
Click here to read Dog Boarding Reviews from satisfied customers.
Your dog will have an exciting routine each day during his boarding visit. Our Pet Care Technicians personally greet each pet every morning. Breakfast is served around 8 a.m. We provide Nature's Variety and other high quality, nutritional foods. You may choose to provide your dog's own food in a labeled airtight container. After breakfast, every dog's kennel is cleansed thoroughly inside and out.
Throughout the day, your dog will have the chance to move freely between the indoor and outdoor sections of his/her individual kennel.
Dog Boarding at Misty Pines can be an exciting social experience by taking advantage of our PLAYTIME options. Dogs can run, play, and interact together in a friendly environment. We group dogs together by size, age, and temperament, forming appropriate groups of puppies, adult dogs, or geriatric dogs. Your dog can exercise, mingle, and have fun all day long. We also offer Cuddle Time, Play Ball and Nature Trail Walks.
After playtime, it is time for your dog to rest in his/her individual dog kennel and have a snack. Treats and toys that the owner supplies can be delivered to each guest at your request during check-in. You may also request training or grooming for your dog at check-in.
Dinner is served around 4 p.m. and then your dog may either relax or exercise in his/her indoor/outdoor kennel.
Our Pet Care Technicians will professionally care for your dog and ensure that he/she is healthy and happy. Remember, we care about your dog too!
Helpful Dog Boarding Tips and Information
• Dog Boarding is a shared responsibility between you and your dog boarding kennel. Successful dog boarding depends not only on the kennel, but also on how well you prepare your dog in advance. Naturally, a dog who is relaxed about boarding will have a good experience and enjoy their stay. The best way to prepare your dog is to begin boarding while it is still young. Younger dogs adapt to new situations quicker than older dogs. It will also help to bring your dog in for short visits in preparation for a long visit.
• We understand that this may be the first time that you are leaving your dog for an extended period of time, but please do not take this opportunity to over-indulge your dog with leftovers before coming to Misty Pines because you feel bad leaving him. Giving your dog unfamiliar food especially in large quantities can cause an upset stomach which can lead to diarrhea and ultimately, an unpleasant experience. Help us to make this the best stay possible for you dog and Don't Give the Dog the Doggy Bag!
• Many dogs get excited and anxious from traveling in the car. They may also feel this way about coming to Misty Pines. Excitement and anxiety often cause dogs to eliminate. There are designated toilet areas outside of our facilities where we have provided Pooper Scoopers for your convenience. Please allow your dog ample time to eliminate before bringing him/her into the office to check-in. Our staff thanks you in advance.
• Plan ahead! Dog boarding is a very popular service, and we tend to book up quickly. Plan to reserve your dog's kennel as soon as you are aware of the dates you need. A credit card will be required for all reservations. We require 5 days notice for cancellations or changes in reservation dates. Without 5 days notice, you will receive a $50 charge.
• Although our office is closed on Sundays for pet check-ins and check-outs, our Pet Care Technicians are present taking great care of our guests!
• You are welcome to request a pre-check-in to expedite the check-in process. Be prepared to supply vaccination records, an emergency number, and instructions for feeding, exercise, training, and grooming.
• Separation from you and being in a new environment can sometimes produce stress in your dog. Stress can result in lowered immunity and resistance and sometimes even temporary changes in behavior. To help reduce this stress, we highly recommend a pre-board stay of at least 4 hours to familiarize your dog with our facility and staff and the sights, sounds and smells of Misty Pines.
• Do not feed your dog at least four hours prior to boarding. This will minimize the possibility of having an upset stomach. Because exercise and eating habits can change, some dogs gain weight while at a kennel, while others may lose a few pounds.
• Please be sure to inform us of any behavior or medical problems that your dog may have such as allergies, medications, separation anxiety, fear of thunder, history of epilepsy, etc. As a dog owner, you should be aware that you are financially responsible for any veterinary care that may be required for your dog. All information which may help us care for your dog is pertinent.
• All dogs must be free of internal and external parasites, and must not have been exposed to any contagious disease. If any fleas are found, your dog must be bathed at your expense. For the sake of all dogs in our care, we reserve the right to deny boarding to any dog lacking the required vaccinations, any dog that appears to be behaviorally unsound or any dog that may have been exposed to contagious disease or internal or external parasites.
**A $1 charge will be applied for administering medications and/or supplements. For example - If your dog takes 2 medications and/or supplements twice a day, you will be charged $4 for that day.
***A credit card will be required to hold all dog boarding reservations. 5 day notice is required for cancellations or changes in the boarding dates. Without sufficient notice, a $50 cancellation fee will be applied.
*Difficult Dogs are those that are not able to be handled by all of our staff. This pertains to those dogs that are human aggressive, fearful, overly dominant or have bitten humans in the past. These dogs will be evaluated on a case by case basis. If you would like to work with Jeff on extinguishing these behaviors before, during or after boarding, please e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 412.364.4122. For more information please visit our Behavior Consultation page.
Now That Your Dog Is Home
When you pick up your dog he will be very excited to see you. Here are some helpful hints to help make the transition back to home as smooth as possible.
Your dog may be a little hoarse due to communicating with other boarding guests. This temporary irritation should dissipate in 1-2 weeks.
When dogs are very excited they tend to drink large amounts of water very quickly which may cause them to vomit. Please pace your dog's water by giving them small amounts at a time or by giving them ice cubes for the first few hours at home.
It is best not to feed your pet for at least 4 hours after he returns home. Excitement can cause a dog to pant heavily which can result in a loss of hydration or loose bowels. If your dog does develop loose bowels, we recommend starting your dog on a bland diet. A bland diet would consist of boiled chicken or hamburger and boiled brown rice. Feed them small amounts of this combination three to four times a day for a couple days. Plain or vanilla yogurt can also be added to this bland diet to help boost up the "good bacteria" in their intestines and stomach. Only use a small amount, no more than 1 Tbs per feeding. Feed the bland diet for a couple of days, and slowly begin to add in their regular diet.
Another remedy is canned pumpkin. Pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, not only helps firm up a dog's stools, it can also help when they are constipated. Pureed canned pumpkin contains large amounts of fiber, Vitamins A and C, and beta carotene. The high amount of fiber is a natural binding complex that will absorb the excess liquid that is in the intestines. It will also replace lost electrolytes that they can lose during diarrhea and the vitamins will help hydrate their system with water. Some pet owners report that it firms up their dog's loose stools within a few hours and it only takes a little bit. It is also said to work faster than Kaopectate. Most dogs seem to like the pumpkin and it is easy to administer for their owners. For a dog up to 15 pounds, give them 1-2 tsp. For a dog 15 - 35 pounds, give them 1 - 2 Tbs. For larger dogs, give them 2 - 5 Tbs.
Please call us after you pick up your pet if you have ANY questions whatsoever. As your pet care provider we want to help.
Misty Pines Pet Company Policies and Procedures
To help make your dog's boarding a pleasant and relaxing experience for everyone, Misty Pines has instituted the following procedures: